Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Out in the Field

April 21, 2007

If my away messages say I am out in the field, I am really out in the field. Seriously. Yesterday was Wheat Field Day in Winnsboro. Field days cover timely topics oriented towards teaching product knowledge that can be adopted at farms and ranches. No worries with the wheat crop. I had to chuckle when I rode with a fellow employee named Bubba. He had a Silverado with the farm package. Farmers are good people. They are stereotyped as snaggletoothed, overall-wearing, straw-chewing people who ride tractors all day and say things like, "Right tharr," said a story in The Daily Reveille about dairy science students. But they are hard-working, early risers who feed the world. You are able to practice your profession because you don't have to worry about what you are going to eat and how you are going to obtain it. You have to worry about me now that I now acreage of crops and the average age of a Louisiana farmer. It's 55. It's 58 U.S.-wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment